Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Birthday Party

So here are the photos from Emma's birthday celebration. It was so great for Emma to spend her first birthday in the States (apart from her actual birthday four years ago) with her grandparents, Great grandparents and Great Aunt Mary. Emma had a long day having been awaken by Samuel at 5:20am. She was pretty tired by the evening having had school today as well. People kept asking her how old she was today and she would respond "I don't know." She SO knows! She must just get a little shy when she is the center of attention. She received clothes, frog travel neck pillow, more stuffed frogs, frog PJs and last Saturday she went to Build-a-Bear to build a Turtle with her great grandma and Aunt Mary. I'll have to post a picture sometime of "Turtle-Turtle" dressed in camo clothes. She did not want a girl turtle at all! What can we say? We had intended to let Emma pierce her ears for her birthday as well. She SO wanted her ears pierced two months ago and so we told her she could get her ears pierced if she stopped biting her nails. That was incentive enough for her and she quit biting her nails, so we took her to the mall over the weekend but she got cold feet and now doesn't think that putting holes in her ears is such a good idea.

As you will see, I made a frog cake that looks like "Big Frog". I had fun experimenting with fondant for the first time too. The frog was a pound cake and the pond was chocolate cake. It took 2 days to make and as always with lots and lots of hours of love poured in to it. It was so rewarding to just hear Emma say: It's Beautiful, Mamma!!!










8 comments:

Mark and Rachel said...

Pretty impressive cake action! Wow!

JLT AND FAMILY said...

Happy Birthday, Emma! Looks like a fun day. Wow! Noles, that cake is great! Good work.

Papa & Nano said...

I never knew I would love frog cakes so much! It's spectacular, Noella!! It looks just like BIG Frog! What joy you brought to Emma, I'm sure.... We enjoyed your late evening post so much and to read it on the same day! Thank you for doing that! You certainly made our evening, despite the elections! We love you all so much. Can't wait to see you all again, soon!

Ben and Melissa said...

Wow Noella, that is an amazing cake! You always take it up a step with each cake. Adorable pictures of the kids and especially the birthday girl. Emma's hair is getting so long! I can't wait to see them in a few weeks! Love, Aunt Melly

Munga and Gramma said...

Gramma can testify as to the beauty of the cake and all the very hard work Mama put into making the day special for our precious little Emma! I know years from now she will look at the pictures and be reminded of how much she is loved!

tara said...

Happy Belated Birthday Emma!! So glad you had a fun day! I'm so impressed with your cake making abilites, Noella! I really want to try fondant sometime, was it hard??

Noella said...

Re: Tara
I did not buy the pre-made fondant which is super expensive and from what I hear tastes horrible. I found a recipe using marshmallows, powdered sugar & water. Much cheaper and super fun to work with. Almost like working with playdough or molding clay. I'll send the recipe if interested.

C.A.F. said...

I'm so glad you guys had such a great party! I love you so much and can't believe we'll see you in just a few weeks!