Thursday, July 21, 2011

Home Improvements

Don't we all have house projects that get thought about and stared at for months, maybe even years before we actually get around to doing anything about it?  I have my list and constant reminders for sure, but somehow more immediate and important things take presidence.  However, the past two weeks I have been able to tackle some of those long desired projects.

Jonathan will be the first to admit he does not enjoy handyman work, but he does it when asked, for those tasks that are beyond my strength.  I don't mind doing most household repairs.  In a strange way it gives me great satisfaction to know I can unclog a sink, change a kitchen faucet, organize, maintain the yard etc.  Maybe it is the farmer's daughter coming out in me.  The summer months are the perfect time to work on home projects, especially considering we are only here every other summer.  Jonathan has his enormous summer projects of translating apologetics articles, editing and mastering over 3 hours worth of original music, vision casting for our church and fall ministries and the list goes on.  So with all that is on his plate, I did not bother to ask him for help in repainting the kids' bedrooms.  As long as he ran me to the store that was enough for me.

With wall registers for heating and mold issues in the winter, the dingy white walls needed some help and repair in some places after four years.  I painted the upstairs bathroom earlier in the summer.  Emma wanted the color green, for the color of frogs (of course), and I obliged.  The boys just needed a color to match dirt that would hide well any finger and feet smudges on the walls.  The painting is done and everyone is pleased.  That is all, except for my poor hands that are now quite displeased with me.  Oh well, they'll recover.  Now to hopefully get some inspiration on decorating the walls.  Here are some after pictures...the true colors are a bit more vibrant in person, but you get the idea.





And some shelf making and organizing was done too along the way....

Adding the top shelf allows me to keep all our games in one place instead of in the closet and two containers under the bed.
Before...that upper wasted space was killing me.
After...that top shelf will be empty come cooler weather and return of comforters to the beds.
Okay...now I'm off to plan and prepare for two hosting engagements this weekend.  Happy summer project time to all!

3 comments:

Gramma said...

The bedrooms look great! You are multi-talented....remember, Munga will be available at the end of the summer and you know how he likes home improvement tasks when he's in Italy!

Gramma

Noella said...

I think we should dismantle the broken washer and haul it out of the house, but that might be overly optimistic. I still have some fix-it jobs he can do. :) Can't wait!!

teamfish said...

Well done, Noella! After I got off Skype with you last week, I was inspired to clean and organize as well. And in just two days we'll be rewarded for all this work! :) (you would think it was Christmas or something the way we're counting down to seeing you all!)