Thursday, October 4, 2012

Good Reads

One of the great blessings of our delayed return to the field (and the kids being gone at school all day) has been the time we have had to sit and read.  This is a unique period of time, but one we are soaking up and taking advantage of, as at least for me, finding time to read in Italy is a bit more difficult.  We are trying to keep our book collection in check by making weekly family runs to the public library.  However, there are just some books you know you want to keep on your bookshelf to read over again.

Jonathan is plowing through his stack of books.  For those who are curious here is what is/was on his nightstand:



I just completed two great books and would highly recommend both.  The first is by Holley Gerth,
You're Already Amazing.  The subtitle is "Embracing who you are, becoming all God created you to be."  I'm sure I am not the only woman who struggles with their identity from time to time.  I let my identity be tied to what I do or who I wish I was, instead of finding my identity in Christ.  This book was a great reminder about how God has uniquely created and gifted each one of us.  In many ways this was a good pep talk for me.  Holley not only addressed the theological side of the issue of identity but also was very practical.  There are many excerises in which you can complete to help you discover your strengths and weaknesses and how to create a life purpose statement that incorporates your uniqueness to most effectively be used for God's glory.  Sometimes I do struggle with thinking I need to do more and be more, but those ideas are often formed and influenced by the world's standards instead of God's.  There was definitely some timely encouragements about rest and refilling that really stood out to me in the book as well.  I am a reader of Holley's blog and have been blessed by her godly insight and encouragements to women.
 
The second book is by Andi Ashworth, the wife of the recording artist, Charlie Peacock.  The book title is Real Love for Real Life: The Art of and Work of Caring.  My hubby found this book recommendation on the blog The Rabbit Room.  I loved this book!  It was such a powerful and inspirational read that discusses the role, motivation, misconceptions and biblical mandate given to all Christians to care for others in their home and community.  This book is not just for the tired mom who feels they are doing something less important in the world because they stay at home.  God has called each of us to care for and show hospitality towards others and Andi really hit the nail on the head with this book.  I would recommend this book to both men and women--for husbands to gain a better insight into the work of being a wife and mother, to challenge your family in ways of practicing hospitality, and to encourage a life of giving and also receiving in different seasons of life.  Andi is very open with her personal struggles and dealing with burnout, which I really appreciated.  This was a great and encouraging read for me and I hope it will be to you too!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy hearing what you are reading. I need to go back to some previous ones you've written about and then choose something. Have you ever read Noel Piper's "Treasuring God in our Traditions?" I'm rereading it and it is good. Think you would like it if you haven't read it yet. So glad you are getting recharged!

Noella said...

Rachel, yes I own and have read "Treasuring God in our Traditions". That is another good one. Email me with any other good reads you have. Love ya!

Heather said...

Thank you for sharing. I love hearing what others are reading.