Friday, March 8, 2013

Recent Reads

Here are some recent books that I have finished reading, and thought I would share them with you.  Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heart, by Elizabeth George took me a long time to read, as I would read a chapter or two every month. (That is what happens when I try to read multiply books at one time)  It was a good book with many good biblical reminders about servant leadership, importance of prayer and influencing your daughter by being who God wants you to be first.  Taking care of your own heart and communing with God daily, being that example to your daughter of living and loving Jesus with your whole heart above all else.  

The Church Planting Wife by Christine Hoover was the first book that I have come across written specifically to the church planting wife and her role.  There are some amazing books out there on the dynamics of church planting, but nothing that would really prepare a wife for the reality of the hardships (and joys) of being the church planting wife.  I felt an immediate connection with Cristine because we are around the same age and similar life experience, and it really made me feel like I am not alone in this role that is so hard to explain to anyone else who has not been there.  She writes honestly  from her American church planting experience and I agreed with what she said, but would just magnify it by 10x for a cross cultural context.  I appreciated that in each chapter she included an interview with other ministry wives that served as another voice to create a sort of community of encouragement.  The book was biblically solid and indeed lived up to being a "help and hope for her heart" as I fulfill God's calling on my life to stand beside my man in ministry as a church planting wife.  An excellent read for any wife in ministry, anyone wanting to see into the life and heart of a church planting wife to better serve as an encouragement to her and well, any wife.  I flew threw this book, it was so good!  I have also been challenged and encouraged as well through Christine's blog.


This past summer during the one Sunday morning service where Jonathan did not have to preach or speak, we heard a song that brought us to tears.  We had just learned of some heart breaking news that would drastically impact the future of our church plant ministry in Italy.  Later the work and investment of the past five years would come crumbling down.  As we sat there in the service with our empty hearts, in our weary bodies and burntout souls, the Lord ministered to our hurting hearts and filled us.  The song Blessings by Laura Story was what I needed to hear that morning.  Later that fall I began to read her 30-day devotional and it was very encouraging to me as we worked through many trials this past fall.  The word "blessing" has been redefined, not just as those good things in our lives, but sometimes God actually blesses His children through the absence of the very things they pray for.  Her CD is also wonderful and I would recommend that as well.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I enjoy reading your book lists and am especially blessed by the church planting wife book and blog - thanks for sharing that resource with me!