Saturday, December 30, 2017

My First "Anta"

...the birth year of Star Wars and yours truly. Hopefully my children would see the day of my birth, forty years ago as the bigger of the two world shattering events, but it might be a toss up. ;) In the eyes of Italian culture 40 is a big deal as this marks one's first "anta". From here on out I will climbing the hill of the "anta" count. I guess it's better than descending the hill!

Trenta (30)
Quaranta (40) 
Cinquanta (50)
Sessanta (60)
Settanta (70)
Ottanta (80)
Novanta (90)

You only turn 40 once and since my birthday is generally on the overlooked side of things with Christmas festivities in full swing this time of year, I wanted to host a party with friends for my milestone birthday. As expected some friends could not come due to prior commitments but there was still a good number that came for appetizers and cake on Sunday evening, the day after my birthday.

Unfortunately, we were without a car (flat tire and a missing security bold key to remove the tire) for the whole week prior so I was making daily trips on foot to the grocery store getting what I could two bags at a time. It made things a bit challenging to prepare for a big party but all in all I was able to get most everything done in advance with the forced house bounding.

For the very first time I made Sicilian Arancini, rice balls stuffed with ragù and cheese that are then breaded and fried. It might be a toss up, which is more laborious—a cake or arancini—both are a two day process and hours of work. The kids would pop in the kitchen while I was assembling the arancini and comment "you're still making those?!" Just making the 1.3kg of risotto took over an hour of constant stirring. Good thing is that I made 35 and they freeze amazingly. Oh my goodness though, it is one of my great Italian food loves and very much worth the time and effort!



Here I am celebrating on my actual birthday after a day in the kitchen. Thanks to my in-laws for the wooden tulips from Holland, Michigan! A unique bouquet of flowers that will last through the "antas" and always remind me of them.


The cake was a team effort as I baked the cakes, Dalida made the cream filling and Emma decorated it. She did a fantastic job and I absolutely LOVED everything about it from the taste to the colors to the avant-garde look. Amazing job, Emma!

Brush Stroke/Feather Cake design made out of dyed white chocolate
An assortment of savory and sweet snacks were prepared and Melissa brought her homemade apple cider to top it off. It was a very casual and special few hours spent in the company of good friends. Thank you to sweet Sara for taking the initiative to grab our camera and capturing the evening in photos for me – a gift indeed!

Happy Birthday to me!!






Emma are you taller than me?! It must be an illusion.
Party guests

After singing "Tanti Auguri" and before cutting the cake, it is Italian tradition for the birthday person to then take photos with each family unit that attended their party.









Isn't this gift unique and gorgeous?!

Thank you to those near and far who sent their birthday wishes! You are sweet blessing in my life!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I had never heard of this Italian delicacy but it made my mouth water! What a beautiful gathering (and lots of work for the birthday girl!) Happy Belated Birthday and many blessings to come.

Mom and Dad Kleis said...

What a wonderful celebration! We love you and are so thankful for all you mean to our family. Mom and Dad Kleis

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday from Patterson Park Church in Ohio. Your celebration looks lovely! You are dearly thought of and prayed for. May your 2018 be a blessing to your hearts while you serve God and those around you.