Friday, September 17, 2010

End of Week One

Yea! We have survived the first week of school.  It was a mixed bag of emotions for everyone this week.  For the first time I have my mornings free with no children in the house.  I am definitely able to get a lot of work done but the silence is a little eery for me.  I am definitely ready and excited to see the kids come lunch time.  Jonathan and I have been able to have mornings out together to grocery shop (highly romantic, I know) and sit and have a coffee together at a local bar.  We are looking forward to our morning dates together this year.

Samuel continues to be the least disturbed about going to school.  No fussing, complaining or problems with his reentry in to school.  We are so thankful for his attitude.  Working on his Italian comes with less motivation at times as he feels he won't ever get it and so won't even try.  But thankfully in the end he puts his mind and effort into it and surprises himself with some practice.

Emma's week ended well.  Her teacher told me this morning that she is very good and understands everything being told to her.  I don't know that she is very vocal right now, but that will come as she gets accustomed to her new environment.  Emma puts up a daily episode of complaining and saying she doesn't want to go to school.  Not uncommon to her last year of school.  Once we get to school she is fine and she always says she had a great day of school when she comes home.

Luca started out well but really put up a fight today.  He is one strong kid so trying to muscle him in to a room is quite the challenge.  It took me a half hour this morning to get him calmed down and interacting with something before I could sneak out.  His teachers were saying how he can get really upset, almost angry.  I gave them some tips on how to help him calm down in those situations.  We saw a lot of that in him between 3-4 years of age.  His language ability in English at that age was very, very low which I think created a lot of frustration for him.  Since he has been speaking better we have seen less of those outbreaks in him.  Maybe throwing him in a situation where he can't communicate is now bringing some of these old issues up again.  My heart is heavy for him and his transition to school.  He told me today he cried and when I asked why he said "I want Mamma".  Luca is a social little guy and I know he will enjoy the interaction with other children and that the language acquisition is so vital for him at this age.  Just praying for God's strength and the Holy Spirit to work in Luca's life.

We are all thankful for the weekend!  Next week starts the normal school schedule:
Luca: M-F, 9-12
Samuel & Emma: M-W, 8:30-12:30/2:00-4:30; Th-F, 8:30-12:30      

No comments: