Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tortillas

I used to get so disappointed and frustrated when I could not find food items here in Italy.  The first few years of living overseas, I depended so much on having family send us food items.  There was the unfamiliarity with products and foods here and the mentality that it could only be found in the states.  I have come a long way, thankfully.  Now, if there is something I am craving or need to have I search the internet for recipes and/or find substitutions.  There are still things I have to request from the states but they mostly fall in the spice category.  I laugh at myself now for packing cake and corn bread mixes, coffee creamers, baby food and peanut butter in to our precious pounds of luggage when we first came.  All of these things are so easy to make and a million times better homemade!

My latest cooking venture was making homemade tortillas.  My grandma always used to make them but she was the grand master that no one else in the family ever even attempted them.  I don't know why, they are not that complicated to make (except for rolling them out into a perfect circle).  Thanks to the adventuresome spirit and fellow ex-pat of a sister-in-law, who sent me a recipe for easy flour tortillas.  We can find tortillas here, but they are rather expensive and not that great.  However, knowing that Michelle and Cody succeeded in their attempts at making tortillas in Iraq gave me the courage to try them myself.  Oh. my. goodness.  They are so easy to make if you have the time and are absolutely delicious! Not being able to find food items here is turning out to be a VERY good thing!

This recipe makes 24 tortillas

Maybe a tortilla press would be a worthy investment

The final product of complete yumminess!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yummy! I have tried to make tortillas several times but they never come out to my satisfaction. Instead, I savor every bite when Pedro's (Mexican) grandmom makes them for us. (She used to make a huge pile of homemade tortillas for every meal for her husband and 9 children.) I'm glad yours came out so well! :)

Ben and Melissa said...

Those look really good! We will have to try them soon!

Pastor D said...

Did I miss something? Did you actually share the recipe - or is it a secret? I would love to try these too.

Mom Kleis said...

They look absolutely yummy! I am constantly amazed at how you adapt to the new culture. You have such a spirit of adventure and desire to provide special treats for your family. We love you!