Thursday, January 19, 2012

One Thousand Gifts


For Christmas, I received from Jonathan, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, by Ann Voskamp.  It was a book that I have been wanting to read for a year, but was waiting to get it in book form instead of on the Kindle. I had heard it was a book I would want to read over and over again.  After reading it, I would agree.  One reason being, I felt there was so much to absorb and take in.  It is written in a poetic style that requires much concentration and contemplation as to what she is even trying to say at times.  For some, that style of writing might be a huge turn off and distraction, but for me I found it beautiful and inspiring.

Ann uses the book to tell her testimony and how the act of thanksgiving and intentional gratitude has transformed her life and her relationship with God, providing a way of seeing ALL as grace and thus allowing her to fully live.  She takes you on a journey through her pain, trials, questioning and discovery of the joy that is found in Christ.  I appreciate how she didn't just leave the challenge to list our gratitude for His graces, but to then BE grace to those around you.  "A life contemplating the blessings of Christ becomes a life acting the love of Christ" (p.184). And "to give the thanks away. That thanks-giving might literally become thanks-living" (p. 192). "

This year I am taking the 2012 Joy Dare Challenge of listing 1,000 gifts and moments of graces in my life.  Praying that I may learn to see more of Christ through the messy, mundane and every day moments of life.

FOR ALL IS GRACE!!

No comments: