Thursday, February 28, 2013

Double Digits for Samuel


I am 10 days late in recognizing the fact that our first born has reached the highly anticipated realm of DOUBLE digits.  Will I always wonder how the years can pass so quickly?  No doubt, I will.

Samuel, ten years ago your birth ushered me into my dream of motherhood.  Those first moments that I held you in my arms, I could hardly believe that you were actually ours.  You are a very special gift from God!  Your spikey hair, little duck tail, ten little fingers and ten little toes were all so perfect.

Samuel, our love for you has only increased as we daily marvel at how uniquely God has created you and how He, by His great grace, is growing you into a young man after God's own heart.  You are passionate about knowing God's word and desire that everyone know God's truth.  I am humbled every time I hear your sincere and heart felt desire that God will save ALL the people of the world.  Your ability to remember names and obscure details in the Bible that I tend to pass over all too quickly really challenges me and humbles me.  May you always have a desire to learn and may you always have a passion for Jesus.


Samuel, you are such a funny kid and make us laugh ALL the time.  You are not a comedian, but unintentionally you make the world around you laugh.  One of these days I will record a meal time conversation...your unending stream of chatter with questions to random fact telling keeps us on our toes and smiles written on our faces.  Here are some favorite quotes:

Hugging and kissing in the kitchen with your Dad, you come in and say:
"Romance is my trigger word."
Me:  Trigger for what?
"For happy tears" (and yes, indeed your eyes are watery)

Samuel:  Where are Uncle Ben and Aunt Melissa in Ethiopia?
Me:  The capital city, and I forget the name.  Abbia something.
Samuel: [without hesitation] Oh, you mean Addis Ababa.

Samuel said that in school they said Noah's Ark was a myth.
Jonathan: Well, is it a myth?
Samuel: No
Jonathan: Why?
Samuel:  Because Hebrews don't normally make up myths.

Praying for Nano who had the flu:
Samuel:  I pray for Nano's leukocytes to fight well.

While disciplining a sibling, I used the word "rebellion".  From the other room Samuel pipes up and says:  "Where does the word rebellion come from?  Is it Latin?"

I could go and on, but I fail to write so many down as this is just the normal flow of life and conversation with you.  How about it family?  Anyone else have a good Samuel quote they want to share?


This is the first year you chose a cake with no theme.  You told me that you would like to give me a break this year, and that all you wanted was a cheese cake.  You are too sweet looking out for your mamma.


And this was a special surprise that totally made your day from Miss Sabon's class in Michigan!


Samuel, we are so blessed that God has entrusted us with your life.  We pray this year of being 10 will be the best yet.  You are loved beyond measure!  Happy 10th Birthday!

1 comment:

Gramma Kleis said...

Dear Family,

As you well know, Munga and I have many "Sam-isms" (as well as "Emma-isms" and "Luca-isms") that make us smile day after day. One of our favorite and oft-repeated ones is when Tim called our house "Gramma and Munga's house" and Samuel insisted it was "Munga and Gramma's house" and when Tim did not acquiesce, Samuel shook his head and said "Munga, that makes no sense to me." Dad and I repeat his phrases often and remember what a sweet and funny boy he is. We love you Samuel!