Saturday, October 23, 2010

Autumn

Pumpkin Farms.  Hay Rides.  Apple Picking.  Apple Cider.  Glorious Shades of Fall.  Bonfires.  Football. Jumping in Leaves...   

I suppose these would be on the top of our list of reasons why "We miss fall in America."  We try not to let out a sigh of jealousy when we see pictures on blogs and Facebook of those enjoying any of the above listed items.  Don't get me wrong, we are sold out in our purpose for living in Italy...and no doubt, we too can make you jealous at times.  

So what does autumn look like in Italy?  Well, it is not so colorful.  Mostly yellows and browns on the trees.  However, there is one bright spot in which I make a point to admire daily.  It is a type of vine that you see climbing on trees and this vine turns a vibrant red and orange in the fall.  Fortunately, for us there is such a vine growing on the fence in between us and our neighbors.




Emma lost her second tooth (at school) a couple of weeks ago.
We do not have pumpkin patches or farms here in Italy.  If you want a large, orange pumpkin to carve you can usually find one at the supermarket marked as "Halloween Pumpkin."  In the past, we have always purchased one to carve and one to cook down for use in pies, breads and other favorite fall recipes.  However, my choice of pumpkins to cook down for my puree has decidedly changed to this variety.  It is so rich in color, less stringy and tastes amazing in all baked goods consisting of pumpkin.

So as not to be deceived on the size of this pumpkin, it is only about 1kg.  
This is my third pumpkin purchase of the season and there will be many more for sure!
I cringe now to think of using canned pumpkin for anything!  Instead of picking pumpkins and apples the fall thing to do here is go chestnut picking.  We might go tomorrow but we have yet to see if it will work out.  Oh, and I do realize that I am in great need of posting pictures of the kids.  Hang in there and I'll try to take some over the course of the next few days.  Enjoy the beauty of fall and drink some apple cider for us!  

1 comment:

teamfish said...

Love it!

I remember my first fall overseas and learning how to make pumpkin puree from scratch. I agree - who wants canned pumpkin after you've had the fresh stuff?? (which is probably your dad's argument to Christmas trees)

If it makes you feel any better, we can wallow together in a few weeks when we're both away from "home" for the holidays. A Skype date is a must! (assuming we have internet connection...and a connection fast enough to carry a Skype conversation!) :)

Michelle