Saturday, May 6, 2017

In Pursuit of My Italian Driver's License, Part 2

The driver’s license saga is finally over as I successfully completed my final exam on Saturday, April 8! Tears of joy...dancing in the street...and a WHOLE lot of praising God for getting me through this!

You might laugh and mock my over exaggeration of elation--after all I have had my American driver’s license since I was 16 years old, giving me 23 years of legal driving experience. HA! That just meant I had to reform habits developed over those years! Let me tell you more...lest you think this was the easiest part of the whole process—for surely it was NOT!

After obtaining my “Foglio Rosa” (driver's permit) in January when I passed my theory exam, I had my first driving lesson in February. I was required to have a minimum of 6 hours of driving lessons before being allowed to take the exam. Each lesson lasted 30 minutes with my instructor. I never claimed to know how to drive a stick shift, as the few experiences I had were very few. Jonathan gave me a quick crash course lesson the morning of my first lesson, and that was the last time I drove under his instruction, because apparently he drives totally wrong!

Each lesson was anticipated with great tension and anxiety, because here in Italy a common method of teaching is to yell at your students. Although I knew this from stories that the kids come home with from school, it didn’t quite hit me until I began to experience it myself. I would always sleep restlessly before my lessons and what joy I once found in driving soon became the greatest stressor in my life. 

I was quickly demoralized and lost all confidence after being repeatedly called a “Pasticcione” (Mess) or “La Pasticcione Massima” (The Greatest Mess) or “una bambina di 2 anni” (a 2 year old girl) or repeatedly hearing the words that I will not receive my license for...turning the steering wheel wrong...parallel parking bad...gripping the wheel...braking too fast...shifting too late, too soon...there was always something he found to knit-pick and complain about. I gave him the initial impression that I was a calm person in life, but not behind the wheel...well, duh! If you yell at me I get agitated and nervous! I might have had a total of 2 lessons that were semi encouraging out of 14 lessons. I might have cried once in frustration when I got home wondering if things would ever click. Jonathan and the kids were my greatest support team, who kept cheering me on week after week!

The day before the exam on my final lesson, my instructor finally succeeded in putting me in tears while driving. He said, “I have told you all the questions the examiner will ask you tomorrow, I’ve taken you on all the possible exam routes...what else can I do—take the exam for you?!” It was probably the build up anxiety for the next day in addition to him yelling at me saying I won’t pass! I just couldn’t hold it in and broke down. Thankfully, he had some heart and felt bad that he made me cry...he said I am a good driver when I am calm, so JUST STAY CALM! I can’t remember all that he said but at least he was making an effort in my distress.

Tears kept flowing all evening prior to Jonathan’s debate. The kids felt awful for me saying they knew exactly how I felt because that happens all the time at school to their classmates. Samuel’s advice: “take the those negative comments, throw them in the trash, AND BURN THEM, RADIATE THEM WITH NUCLEAR WASTE SO THEY NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY AGAIN!” Okay then. I guess he has learned how to cope and let it roll off his back...although mind you he is NEVER the focus of the yelling, because that is only for students who deserve it. Ummmm, thanks?!!

That week we had asked for prayer for my driving exam along with the debate and several people (other than our immediate family) wrote to encourage me specifically about the exam. My ex-college softball coach wrote and gave me a great pep talk as only a coach can. Another friend and driver’s training instructor in the US also had great words of encouragement, reminding me that “it’s not a life-defining moment, it’s not the end of the world and you’re not a ‘bad driver’ if you don’t pass the first time.” Words of truth: I am not defined by what I do, but whose I am.

The Lord began to calm my heart and give me peace as the evening wore on. I still woke up at 4:30am, but that gave me plenty of time to pray and focus my thoughts. I went out driving with Jonathan at 9:30 just to regain confidence lost just hours before. I arrived at 10:00 along with three other teens ready to go, but ended up waiting for nearly 2 hours before we started the exams. We all shared similar stories about our instructor, so that was cathartic and made me feel better that it wasn’t just me.

When the examiner finally arrived, my instructor was all words of encouragement and assurances...after all, our licenses were already printed and ready to hand over.  I kept the words of my friend’s prayer close in thought: “No fear allowed in that car, only the sweet presence of Jesus guiding your eyes, hands and feet and especially each decision you make as you move down the road.”

I was tested second and I drove probably a total of 10 minutes.  The examiner sat in the back seat behind me and the instructor directed me. He too has pedals on his side of the car, so if I wasn’t going fast enough he would give it a little gas and we would both pretend it was all me. I heard others were given more helps than that and still passed. I passed with flying colors and received compliments from the examiner on how well I mastered shifting...and my instructor just had to comment, “this is the first time she has done it all correctly.” And I wanted to respond...it could be because you are NOT yelling at me!

Before exiting the car, I was handed my license and my instructor gave me “kisses” of congratulations with a glisten in his eye. I told him I was going to bake him a big plate of American chocolate chip cookies. Truly, I do love the man, he is a very kind and personable person, but his methods of teaching are perplexing and disturbing for one not having grown up in that learning environment. However, he did his job in putting another driver on the road, so I can’t fault him too much I guess. I am indeed grateful to have surpassed yet another milestone experience in Italian living!


God is faithful!!!!!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I celebrate this great achievement with you as one who had to pass a different kind of trial for the same reason (obtaining our Chilean driver's licenses.) Perhaps some day I will write about it, but honestly in the midst of the stress and frustration my testimony suffered and I do regret that to this day. So I rejoice with you! For what it's worth, my driver's instructor in the United States was a yeller, too. I was sixteen and sheltered, so when he "bleepity bleeped" at me it was quite a shock to my system. I can only imagine as a grown woman! Congratulations on seeing it through. :)