Sunday, February 6, 2011

Reading

Having a husband who is an avid reader, not to mention fast reader, I feel that my reading accomplishments always pale in comparision.  I am a one-book-at-a-time reader, while he is actively reading anywhere between 4-6 books at a time.  My goal for 2011 is to read one book a month, and if I get to more that would just be awesome.

I just finished reading One with a Shepherd: The Tears and Triumphs of a Ministry Marriage by Mary Somerville.  A wonderful book full of biblical truths and godly wisdom for wives of men in ministry.  It had me reevalutating my crucial role as a pastor's wife and mother in combination with ministry.  I suppose I was struck in the face as I took into consideration that I am no longer merely a missionary wife, but a pastor's wife.  That new title seems very daunting to me, yet that is where we find ourselves with our church plant.  I had a few of those moments while reading the book, thinking I have no idea what I am doing!  This book was so timely and really worked through so many issues and responsibilities that are given to women whom God has called to this role of serving alongside a shepherd.  It was a huge encouragement to me and I only wish I had read this book 5 years ago!  Being so "new" yet to the ministry some of the trials she discussed I could not relate to, but no doubt they will occur in my lifetime as it just comes with church life, growth and ministry to people.  I pray I am deeply rooted in God's Word making my chief responsibility in life to know and revere God.  And then that I will honor and support my husband in his role to the church, and be a mother who loves and disciples her children.  So thankful for God's grace, not only to survive, but to thrive in this role.

"God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed." (2 Corinthians 9:8)

1 comment:

Munga and Gramma said...

We thank God for the ministry you have in Jonathan's life, the kids lives, our lives, and all those that you share the gospel with in furthering His kingdom. We love you!

Mom and Dad Kleis