Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Report Cards

So proud of Samuel and Emma and the report cards they received this past week.  Their academic achievements are not what we value the most (and they know that), but rather the way in which they bring glory to God by doing their very best.  The grading system is much different here, but they both received 8's, 9's and 10's on  a scale of 1-10.  The 10's were for English--whew!  They both enjoy school and doing homework is never a battle in which we have to fight over.  They both diligently study and have to work extra hard to understand and learn Italian in addition to mastering the concepts being taught.  I am learning right along with them as I find myself referencing the Italian-English dictionary often.  Oh, and that grammar review I've been wanting to do, well I'll just join in with my kids.

One of the first academic comments that Samuel received from his teachers was how good his penmanship is.  Here is a copy of his writing.  I hear that cursive is out of fashion, but I love it!  And it is easy to read when written with such presision.



It delighted our hearts to hear that Samuel and Emma have a good testimony at school.  They listen, interact, work hard, get along well with the other kids and are "bravissimi".  Keep up the good work my precious children.  Mamma and Dadda are so very proud of you and we love you with all our hearts!

Please continue to pray for each of our children and that they will continue to have a positive experience in the classroom setting.  We have been truly blessed so far with good and understanding teachers for all of our kids.  It is a process to learn and gain confidence in a second language.  I admire our kids for their courage and give God praise for the strength He provides for them daily.  Luca has been slower in picking up the language, but we pray that he too will have a teachable spirit and desire to communicate in Italian more and more.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Samuel certainly does have beautiful penmenship! I hope he continues to write so well. Thanks for the update :-) I hope to get to know your family better over time. May God continue to guide and bless you. Mary

Stephanie said...

If cursive is out of fashion, Chile hasn't picked up on that yet! They don't even teach printing in school. But I can't say my kids' handwriting is quite so pretty! :)

Question, how do you handle teaching your kids English (especially spelling/reading/writing) ... Ours have an English class in school and do well in it, but their spelling has become totally phonetic since they study in Spanish all day. Any tips??

Noella said...

Mary, pleased to meet you. Thanks for tracking with our lives and ministry.

Steph, I will email you so we can continue this exchange of how to teach English to our kids. I'll need your ideas too!

Munga and Gramma said...

Samuel,Emma and Luca,

We are so proud of how well you are doing in school, and how hard you are working! We love you and miss you!

Ben and Melissa said...

Samuel, Emma and Luca,

Great job! You are in our prayers always. We are so proud of you guys and how well you are doing in school. We love you!

The Fish Fam