Friday, April 1, 2016

The Big One-O

This week our family said goodbye to single digits and honestly it makes me a little sad if I stop to dwell on the fact. I am a mamma of tweens and a teen--that is just crAzy! Our time of training and nurturing children under our roof is half over and that is a sobering thought. However, instead of wallowing in a season's passing, I am choosing to embrace the present and celebrate today. So let's focus on the birthday boy who joined the double-digit club on March 29...

Happy 10th Birthday Luca!

You are full of life and energy. You are determined and tenacious. You are expressive and enthusiastic. You are creative and intelligent. You aren't into using a lot of words, but still you thrive on making people laugh and smile through your crazy little antics. You have grown so much in your perseverance through hard things (like school) and even though there are still hard days of homework, you always get it done. We are so proud of you for working hard! If I need a helping hand in the yard, you are by my side. Thanks for still reaching out to hold my hand on our walks home from school and for being my grocery shopping buddy. You are a huge helper! God is growing you in the gifts unique to being you. We pray you will be a man who loves Jesus above all else in this world and that you will run hard after him for your whole life. We love you deeply, always and no matter what...nothing will ever change that because you are our son, our precious Luca!


Luca was super excited that this year his birthday fell on an Easter vacation day. No School! What more could a birthday boy ask for? Coming off a long weekend of Easter celebrations, I had no time to work on a cake before hand. Therefore, I had to make a grocery store run first thing in the morning. As usual, Luca was willing to walk to the store with me and we got all our sugary supplies along with a special donut treat for breakfast. Total bummer though as he didn't even finish it. Italian donuts always look better than they taste. Funny that he came home to an email with a Dunkin Donuts gift card from his friend for his birthday. He can't wait to use it in a couple of months! Gifts are still coming in the mail so he will enjoy the extended celebrations.

iPod Touch-- It's been the gift of the year
While I worked on the cake plus treats for our charity ministry later that afternoon, Luca finished up his vacation homework. For his birthday dinner, he requested Nano's chicken fingers, which I have not mastered in the least! At first he suggested tacos since he knows his siblings like that meal and he said he would just have some chips and a tortilla. :) But with some convincing that it was his day and his food wishes, he chose homemade chicken fingers. I probably was more nervous on failing with the chicken than the 3D cake. As anticipated they were not close to Nano's perfection, but he did eat two pieces at least leaving the door open for me to attempt once again in the near future since they were "kinda close".


Luca requested a cream cheese pound cake in a Star Wars Tie Fighter cake design. He showed me a picture of a 3D cake on the internet a couple of weeks ago and my immediate reaction was "no way!" He assured me that a 2D picture of a tie fighter would be just fine and explained how I could draw it. But during a period of sleepless hours one night last week I actually got up and researched how I could construct a 3D ship. What I discovered is that maybe it wasn't as difficult as it seemed on first glance. Rice Krispie treats gave the form and then were covered in fondant and Emma helped cut the wings out of card stock paper.



We got a firework candle for the first time ever and that was super fun, even though he seemed a little unsure of it at first. It was impressive for sure. Fun times turning 10!


No comments: