Sunday, December 4, 2011

Book Reading

What happened to my book of the month postings?  Um ya, well that goal obviously was not fulfilled over the past few months.  Never fear though, I am still reading just more like at a snails pace.  Since my last book of the month posting in June, I have completed 3 books.  I just never got around to writing a review about them.  So here goes before 2011 comes to an end.

Real Food by Nina Plank

A book that started us on our family food revolution.  All thanks to my brother and sister-in-law!  I started to read this in the spring and was quickly convinced and challenged to consider what and why we eat the things we do.  I was more than thrilled to learn that butter and whole milk are great things to eat, and that whole milk actually helps curb those sugar cravings.  All vegetable oils have cleared our shelves, along with any processed treats for the kids.  There is a lot of science behind Plank's writings and it was a real eye opener for me in so many ways.  Being raised in a family where everything is made from scratch is a super helpful foundation and so most transitions weren't so bizzar to incorporate in to our family routine and diet... 

...that is until Jonathan got a hold of the book by Mark Sisson called Primal Blueprint this past June.  (sidenote: for both of these books you have to skip over their ideas of the whole evolving human stuff and just consider the logic and science of the eating habits promoted).  I have not fully read the Primal Blueprint, but rather some select chapters.  Now, transitioning to a primal diet was way more of a leap and struggle for me!  Jonathan's 30-day primal challenge (meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds and some dairy) left him feeling the best he has ever felt and there was no turning back.  Full of energy with no sluggishness in the mornings, no sicknesses, a better flow of things, weight loss while eating even more than before, food tastes better, more balance with no highs and lows from sugar or lectin spikes etc.  He was convinced, and so began my personal challenge to join him.  A grain-free diet is now how Jonathan and I prefer to  eat.  I try in general to provide less grains for the kids too, but not a complete elimination.  Not saying we have arrived on this journey or find ourselves thinking we are in someway above those that eat differently.  This is just something where we have seen signficant changes for the better in our own lives.  You might think we are nuts, but a 30-day challenge to yourself might just convince you as well.  :) So we have had a lot of new ideas and things to "chew" on the past six months.


This was an easy and quick read.  Insightful observations about men and their general thought processes and how our reactions as women are interpreted.  The book provided some good discussion points between Jonathan and I.  I guess you would have to read her other book For Men Only, to see all pieces of how a healthy marriage is encouraged and generated from both sides.  For me there was nothing totally shockingly new in this book, but some great reminders about some areas I had forgotten about.  I did read this during the summer too, so my memory is a bit foggy of my initial impressions.


A wonderful encouraging and inspiring book on motherhood.  A very practical book on how to serve and minister to your children, always with the intent of directing your children to God.  I was challenged by this quote "It's the way I respond to my children in everyday moments that gives me the best chance of winning their hearts.  If I have integrity and patience in the small moments of life that are so important to my children, and if I approach them with a servants heart, then I have a far better chance of influencing them in the larger and more critical issues of life."  It is the little moments in life, those everyday moments that I often forget the importance of.  How taking time out to cut a paper, admire a drawing, fasten a coat, respond in gentleness, tell a story, all mean so much to a little heart.  "When we are joyful and see each minute with our children as an opportunity to worship God through our service of him, our children sense our joy and feel secure and happy."  I appreciate that she has written discussion questions with scripture references to work through at the end of each chapter.  Definitely a good read. 

1 comment:

JLT AND FAMILY said...

I have read this book by Sally Clarkson a few times. It has been an encouragement me each time. I have not read the primal book you spoke of, but have tried to include less grains and struggle with it, especially now with expecting. Perhaps after Christmas you could tell me some of your favorite meals. The children would eat oatmeal everyday if I let them and last night we had apple/bacon/cheese panakooken, but this has been my comfort food during this pregnancy- panakooken- I make it whenever I can't think of anything to make. We eat a lot of fruit, veggies, and nuts, and protein, but still struggle to removed those grains. Maybe if I read that Primal book there will be some tips/recipes.