Monday, November 23, 2009

Kids Say the Funniest Things

I've been trying my best this fall to keep a journal of the funny things the kids do or say. Here is a collection of some of the things I've journaled. Enjoy!
  • I was in my bedroom ironing curtains for the center. Luca was on the bed looking at books. In an instant as I had my back away from the ironing board to fold something he walked right in to the blazing hot iron. I thought pretty sure he burned himself as I only saw him out of the corner of my eye, but he didn’t really react as such. He just kind of swatted at his ear like a fly was bothering him. I immediately asked if he burned himself and looked to see for myself and sure enough a huge burn line was across the entire length of his ear. There was an indentation where he was seared but he didn’t shed one tear or complain one bit. He only lasted for about 3 minutes under the cool water from the bade before wanting to go off and play. He never once complained about it even though my stomach would churn each time I looked at it for the following 2 weeks as it healed.
  • While giving Emma a bath, Jonathan was asking Emma why she liked frogs so much. She kept saying “because I do.” When pushed to give a reason she turned the question on Jonathan and asked “why do you like wedding pillows so much?” “What do you mean, wedding pillows?” She said, “you know the pillows with the earrings on it.” (I think we recently watched the wedding video of Uncle Cody and Aunt Michelle's wedding)
  • After watching “Eight Below” Samuel asked "why does leprosy growl?" I came to understand that he was referring to the “Leopard Seal” that was in the movie.
  • During Bible story time we were reading and discussing the story of Jacob, Rachel and Leah. Jacob loved Rachel more than Leah and Jonathan started to talk about the complications of marrying two women. He asked the kids “what if Dada married 2, 3 or 4 women?” Samuel replied “Then you would go to jail!” Jonathan then told the kids how Solomon in the Bible had 1,000 wives. Samuel replied “Ohhh, that’s kinda too many!”
  • On our walk home from school Samuel seemed confused about what he learned in his English class that day. They were learning colors and he kept saying he learned the color “white blue” I tried to explain that he probably misheard the teacher as it is supposed to be “light blue.” I had to go through the explanation of the contrast between dark and light and finally got him to say “light” instead of “white.” Then he came out and said, “Mamma, I am not a dark person.” I was thinking did he mean evil or his skin tone? I did not understand what he meant so had to do some digging. He said, “You know, like you are not a creepy crawly bug person. I am not a dark person.” Oh, like you are scared of the dark? “Yes, I am not a dark person."
  • After Luca finished watching a Pluto short and the closing credits came up, he said “A-MEN!” I think that’s what he thinks you say instead of “The End.” Since then I have noticed him say "A-MEN!" at the end of all movies.
  • After Luca had a morning of being a big pest to his sick siblings, he finally was sitting nicely on the couch next to Samuel watching a movie. Samuel told him “You are my friend now, Luca . I don’t like it when you are a little sinner.”
  • Bible story time: Jonathan was reading and discussing the story of Nicodemus and what it means to be born again. Samuel asked “when you are born again, do you stay the same size?” Jonathan explained that it was not a physical rebirth but a spiritual one in which God gives us a new mind. Samuel’s response was “so when you are born again you’re out of your mind?”
  • Luca is enamored with technology. He knows how to navigate around on the computer, download stuff and getting around without creating unfixable problems—like he really knows what he is doing. He loves to have control of the TV and DVD remotes. Every button he pushes is referred to as the “play” or “menu” button. He’ll say “Mamma, I push menu” when turning off my kitchen timer. “Mamma, I push play” to start the dishwasher. When Jonathan is on his cell phone, Luca will dictate to him “Dadda, push menu!”

3 comments:

JLT AND FAMILY said...

"little sinner" and "out of your mind" made me chuckle. i haven't written down any quotes from the littles since Gabe was born. thanks for the reminder.

Munga and Gramma said...

Lots of smiles from these! I am fascinated that Luca can download- perhaps he can teach his Gramma a thing or two!

Love,
Munga and Gramma

Munga and Gramma said...

Lots of smiles from these! I am fascinated that Luca can download- perhaps he can teach his Gramma a thing or two!

Love,
Munga and Gramma