Friday, December 17, 2010

A Special Day

I think this will be the first ever post about my own birthday.  As the author of this blog, I have conveniently omitted all references to the day in the past for the fear of sounding narcissistic.  But this post is more to brag on my family and for family far away to feel a part of the celebrations.  So not so self-centered intensions after all.  :-)

Some years for me are filled with mostly tears (like last year) and others with complete joy and delight (this year!)  For any of you who have a December birthday, particularly the week before Christmas, know that we often get gipped...by Christmas programs, parties or other wise frenetic schedules.  However, I always had (still do) have great sympathizers in my life in, my grandma who has a birthday on the 14th and my parents whose anniversary is on the 15th.  My birthday follows on the 16th.  Often, growing up we would pick one of those 3 days to celebrate all three events.  Each year that I am away from home, I still have this whole in my heart that longs to be near my family of sympathizers and wish that we could celebrate together in person.

Happy 37th Anniversary Dad and Mom!!!  
So thankful for you and your godly example of marriage, commitment, love and selflessness that you demonstrate!  I love you and miss you both so very much!

Happy 85th Birthday Nana!!!
Always full of love, joy, generosity and a kitchen of delectable dishes...even if it was just a quesadilla, it was still the best ever!  Wishing we could be knitting together.  I love you with all my heart too!

As alluded to, last year's birthday was a teary one.  And believe me, my husband made every effort to help make this one more joyous for me.  He did a fantastic job and we had a lot of fun celebrating my 33 years of life yesterday.

After taking the kids to school, we stopped at the bar to have a cappuccino together before he had to leave for a meeting.  I spent my morning baking Christmas cookies and enjoyed the quiet of the house, apart from blaring Christmas music.  Jonathan came home with Luca around noon with a gorgeous bouquet of roses in hand.  Nice that one of his ESL students is a florist.  I think we should include flowers on our monthly ministry expenses.  hehe




A friend and neighbor of mine, Patrizia, sent home with Samuel a teddy bear filled with chocolates.  Emma quickly determined that since I was not going to sleep with the bear, that she would take care of it for me.  You will see the bear in upcoming pictures.

After lunch, Jonathan and the kids went to work making me a cake.  A pumpkin cream cheese roll!  Samuel read directions, and Luca and Emma helped some before then running off to play.  I just enjoyed taking pictures of them and seeing them work together to make a special cake for me.  The end result was super yummy!




After naps, including one for me, we ate cake and opened presents before heading out to a pizzeria for dinner.  Not having to cook would have been present enough for me.

Loved all the extra hugs, kisses and drawings from the kids too!

Thank you Munga and Gramma for all my beautiful gifts!  I am as soft as that new teddy bear in my new pj's.

The kids gave me a Josh Groban CD

And Jonathan gave me a new clock/CD player for our bedroom.

3 decine + 3 unità = 33

Thanks babe, for all you did to make my day special!

Principessa Emma.  Even the cook recognizes one and made this special heart pizza for her.
It was a fantastic day!  Not maybe the most exciting in your books, but believe me it was good!   I so appreciate all the calls, emails and messages on facebook from everyone.  I am truly blessed by all of you!

3 comments:

Munga and Gramma said...

Thank you so much for posting the pictures of your special day! It all looks wonderful- and we are SO impressed with the fabulous cake Jonathan and the kidlets made for you. We love you and thank God for you every day. May this be a special year for you!

Love,
Mom and Dad Kleis

teamfish said...

So I desperately need that family calendar put up in our new home! So glad I got internet access today and saw all the special days we've missed this week - happy birthday, Noella!! Cody returns in 2 days, and we'll definitely want to catch up with you then - we'll call from our cell phones if we can't get internet access. We love you, miss you, and are so very thankful for you! Happy belated bday!! - C&M

Anonymous said...

Oh, Noella, what a very special day indeed! So special to see the love poured out to you. Jon, you did a fantastic job on the cake, along with your extra helpers! The cake looked yummy!!
I hear you, Noella, when it comes down to trying to celebrate each day of our family's celebrations in December. I'm so glad you had a wonderful day. You deserve so much!
We love and miss you very much. Praying God will provide His graces for everyone, when we're apart during the holidays. May our joy rest in Him!
Loving you dearly,
mom & dad