Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tis the Season

Cookies Sheets.  Mixers.  Favorite Holiday Recipes.  Cinnamon.  Pumpkin.  Chocolate.  Oven Heat.  Delectable Aromas.  Sneak Test Tasting.  Giving.


I love the holidays and returning to a long list of family holiday traditional favorites.  Then combine two diverse family lists of traditional favorites and you are left wondering when you are going to have time to indulge in each classic, heart warming and must have item.  For the past week, my oven has been working overtime in anticipation of gift giving.  [And as a side note, I must say, that last year's Christmas gift of a deep freezer has never been so appreciated!  Now I can bake in advance and freeze everything without all the stress of having a marathon baking day.  Love that!]

Each year I have said, I want to put together a gift basket for our neighbors.  Our first year in this home we were struck with one illness and flu after the other, then we were in the states for a Christmas, and I guess last year I just never got my ducks in a row to make it happen.  With much determination to not let this year slip by me, we have so far successfully make and distributed gift baskets to 6 neighborhood families.  Now that I have made more room in the freezer I need to get baking again to finish off 4 more by the week's end.

Pumpkin Bread, Zucchini Bread, Brownie Crackle Top Cookies, Candle & Calendar.

My little elves.
We were all excited about the giving and pray that this simple act of love will be used to open the doors wider in to our neighbors' lives and hearts.  We also gave each family a Scripture calendar.  Well, the oven is calling my name so I better get going.  It's one way to heat up the house in these cold temps!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My!! Noella what a beautiful gift! They'll love every part of it, especially the kids delivering them. It made me teary eyed because I could place each of your faces (Jen, you, Ben & Cody) in those positions!The cost is high, but the giving is the best!
Am praying for your back and more strength!
Loving everything you do.....
mom

Munga and Gramma said...

The baskets are lovely and the food sounds yummy! I am sure all of your neighbors will appreciate this thoughtful "gift from the heart." Noella, you are amazing! And what a special gift to the kids to show them Christ's love in action.

Love,
Mom Kleis